Tuesday, January 22, 2008

THE CHAMPAGNE OF COMMERCIALS

The name Errol Morris might not ring a bell, but I can gaurantee to you that you have seen his work. He is really one of the pioneers of the Documentary Film genre, dating back to 1988's 'The Thin Blue Line'. When I saw it I decided I wanted to make documentaries, and I wasn't alone. It was so distinctive and unlike anything I'd seen before. Simply put, Errol Morris is just a master story teller and listener. Folks have been copying his style of film making ever since. I could go on and on, but his web site says it best, and that is where I am about to send you.

Superbowl time is drawing near, and it got me thinking about commercials. I normally can't stand the things, but recently I have seen a few that catch my attention. Wes Anderson's AT & T commercials for example, or the Fatheads.com commercial featuring the Urlacher Bear blowing fire and the man with the awesome voice saying things like "Smack you in the ear hole" and "I'm beggining to rhyme and I like it". But for awhile now, hand down my favorites have been the Miller High Life ads. So like every good computer owner does, I looked them up online. When I discovered that Errol Morris was responsible for them I was both shocked and awed. But yet it makes perfect sense - Errol Morris is awesome and so he would make awesome commercials. For beer. But don't take my word for it, look for yourself.

You can find all of the commercials at Errol Morris's web site: www.errolmorris.com/commercials/miller I suggest you watch them all. I will give you a few teasers, in case you don't believe me.

This one is called Golden Goose



This one I would like to dedicate to my Brother-In-Law Pete who can back up anything anytime



This commercial is timely



Laugh out loud funny



And my favorite of the bunch !!!



Do yourself a favor, and check out the complete collection, you won't regret it. And then check out his films, you won't regret that either.

Shelley

No comments: