Thursday, July 16, 2009

VACATION = BOOST THE ECONOMY

I'm guessing that Tim hasn't mentioned it, but I bought a cell phone this week while on vacation with my family in the Twin Cities. I haven't made my mind up about it yet, but I have to admit that I am leaning towards a thumbs up. I don't wear a watch - so having a clock on hand is almost worth the price of admission alone. Now I just have to remember to turn it to silent when I'm in the movie theater!!



To complete my leap into the 21st Century, I picked up a digital camera. When I was hunting around for one, I vented with the salesman about my lack of enthusiasm for abandoning my 35 mm. He just laughed and told me, "You won't even remember you have a 35 mm camera in about a week". He is right.



Last Christmas I watched my oldest neice simply pick up her digital camera and snap a photo of herself to see what her hair looked like. It was just easier to do this than get up and walk to a mirror, she said. It was such a small action, but the idea of it really stuck with me. I have always loved taking photos, but in the last 5 years I have rarely picked up my camera. Having taken several photography classes in college, once you get a tatse of developing your own pictures you are just never satisfied with commercial developers. So I stopped. Now I can look at my photos, discard the bad ones, crop them - and even take videos!! I think my camera and I are going to be great friends. I haven't named it yet, but it is just a matter of time.



Last night I did my first self portrait shot with one of my record purchases. Mystery Record followers will recall just what I am holding:



From the salesperson at the record shop I learned that most of the musicians in HAZE are still around, in fact he said one of them was a frequent shopper. Thanks to the information on the back of the record, I now know the band member's names. I will try to track them down when I get a free moment to snoop online again. The record salesman told me he used to see HAZE play back in the day, and he said "They were REALLY good."

I'll be back on the air next Monday morning - a big thank you to Shyboy Tim for holding down the fort!!

No comments: