Friday, March 26, 2010

Inspiration for the Upcoming 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go #4


There are so many reasons to watch the musical documentary URGH! A MUSIC WAR, but I am going to give you three big ones for this post. This is also an amazing record set - so amazing in fact that a man claiming to be a "collector" grabbed a copy out of my hands at a thrift store in the Twin Cities! But that is another story.

Let's start with the Cramps. I had casually heard of this band before, but I had never seen the Cramps until I watched URGH! I was instantly sold - that yell, that ability to swallow a microphone while singing, and the magic that had to be invoked to keep his pants on - all of it made me a fan for life. I went right out and bought "Bad Music For Bad People". That was a week before Shyboy Tim and I began doing Shuffle Function.

Have a look for yourself.



This next clip from URGH! A MUSIC WAR didn't inspire me to go out and buy all of this band's records, because I already had most of them. XTC was already one of my favorites, but they had stopped touring long before I was ever allowed to go see a concert. Andy Partridge, the lead singer had a breakdown on stage of sorts, and never returned to the stage again. When I saw XTC perform this song, Respectable Street, it was the first time I'd seen them live, and I couldn't believe the fierceness I saw in Andy Partridge. Since time machines aren't readily available, this is as close as I will ever get.



This next clip is just amazing. Dave Thomas, the lead singer of Pere Ubu literally blows me away with this performance every single time. In fact, just posting this on the blog, I have watched this clip three times in a row! This is quirky and akward and such a mess that I adore it, and the music isn't that bad either. I had never heard of Pere Ubu, but again I went right out and bought "Terminal Towers".



The Shuffle Function 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go is now less than a week away!! We have so many amazing things to share with all of you - that it can't come soon enough for me!!

Shelley

No comments: