Monday, March 29, 2010

Inspiration for the Upcoming 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go #5



Wow. I can count on one hand how many days are left until The 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go! Thursday, April 1st at 6 p.m. is go time people. The Spring KMSU Pledge Drive itself kicks off this Wednesday, so feel free to start limbering up those pledge dialing fingers.

Now let's go to one of my favorite moments in time caught on film, The Band's Last Waltz. Again there is a ton of amazing clips from this that I could share with you when it comes to inspiration, but I will pick just a few of the biggies. If you happen to be unfamiliar with The Last Waltz, this is the big going away hootenany that The Band held. It was the last time they played together, and they had a number of special guests join them on stage. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Muddy Waters, Neil Diamond, Joni Mitchell, the list just goes on and on. It was directed by Martin Scorcese, and features interviews with members of The Band between tunes. Really, if you have never seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it.

This first clip features The Staples Singers, and I am fond of saying that when we die and go to heaven, this group of folks will be singing our entrance into the pearly gates. There is so much going on in this version of "The Weight". Members of The Band trade verses with Pop and Mavis Staples, and everyone joins for a churchlike ending. I am getting the shivers just thinking of it!



This next video is just flat out amazing. It is The Band singing "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", a tune that I have loved since hearing it on the radio as a kid. But this version is different. I have heard Levon Helm, vocalist and drummer for The Band describe this particular performance as the best he'd ever sung it. They added a small brass band too, which just sealed the deal for me. I always get the shivers watching this, especially when they sing "You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat".



Look for some Grind-Fu Cinema posters in a spot near you later on today (Monday) as I go about town spreading the good 'badly dubbed mexican horror film' word.



Shelley

No comments: