Thursday, April 29, 2010
But then I heard who they actually have in mind for stepping in to the major roles of Apocalypse Now, and god help me, I actually found myself intrigued with possibilities.
My neice will be happy to hear that Zac Efron is being tapped to play the Martin Sheen character. If this fact alone prompts her to someday go back and see the original version of Apocolypse Now, then maybe this remake is not such a bad idea.
But wait, there's more.
I can't imagine anyone in Hollywood would have the balls to step into Brando's Kurtz, but apparently Will Ferrell is willing to try. Part of me thinks this is "doable", the part of me that has forgotten how much money I wasted seeing the "Land Of The Lost" remake. Fingers crossed I guess.
Are you feeling woozy? This might help.
This next casting suggestion is actually what made my dry heaves disappear. It would be a small part, but the actor that was rumored to be playing the wacked out Dennis Hopper part is none other than Zach Galafanakis!!!! I think that would be amazingly awesome - and even if the rest of the movie bombs (and I am sure it will be at the least very painfull)I will sit through it to see Zach.
I didn't hear who they said was being tapped to play Robert Duvall's character, let's just hope it's not someone like Robin Williams!! If they are looking for ideas, might I suggest Fred Armison for the surfer guy part? Or maybe David Koechner as Robert Duvall's part? I can't believe I am even thinking about this!!
Anyway, what do you think about this? All signs point to this being the biggest Hollywood mistake ever.......... in fact I wonder if someone like Adam McCay is involved in this. If I see anything else I will be sure to update this.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
WE ARE PLAYING ALL OF OUR RECORD STORE GOODIES!
1. The Fleshtones - a girl from Baltimore
2. Bruce Springsteen - the ghost of Tom Joad
3. Sonic Youth - bull in the heather
4. LCD Soundsystem - pow pow
5. Curtis Mayfield - pusherman
6. Rolling Stones - plundered my soul
7. Yoko Ono - why?
8. Flaming Lips - on the run
9. Flaming Lips - time/breathe
10. Elvis Presley - that's allright
11. Deerhoof - dummy discards a heart
12. Finlay Brown - love will find you
13. Sonic Youth - teenage riot
14. John Lennon - mother
APRIL 20, 2010 (1476)
1. Connor Oberst and The Mystic Valley Band - slowly (oh so slowly)
2. Avi Buffalo - remember last time
3. Joanna Newsome - 81
4. Bonnie "Prince" Billy w/The Cairo Gang - with cornstalks or among them
5. Dondero A Capella Choir and Pop Concert Instrumentals - roundabout
6. LCD Soundsystem - drunk girls
7. Joey and His Friends - bridge on the river Kwai theme
8. Iggy and The Stooges - head on
9. The Rosehill Jr. High Jazz Ensemble - Lady Madonna
10. T Rex - 20th century boy
11. Unnatural Helpers - sunshine/pretty girls
12. Jeremy Messerschmidt - lazy bones
13. Bo Diddley - you can't judge a book by looking at it's cover
14. XTC - life begins at the hop
APRIL 21, 2010 (1477) IGGY POP's BIRTHDAY
1. Gary Strivent - something
2. The Black Keys - tighten up
3. The Monkees - going down
4. The Fleshtones - train of thought
5. The Fuzztones - ward 81
6. The Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt - IOTDWYKIYHTBR
7. Rush - spirit of the radio
8. Iggy Pop - lust for life
9. Big Star - back of car
10. Guided By Voices - glad girls
11. Stooges - raw power
12. Stooges - 1969
13. Stooges - TV eye
14. Stooges - search and destroy
APRIL 22, 2010 (1478)
1. The Zombies - maybe after he's gone
2. Lou Reed - Lisa says
3. Sarah Jaffe - before you go
4. Breeders - no aloha
5. The Fleshtones - all around the world
6. Fountains Of Wayne - radiation vibe
7. Grandpaboy - high time
8. Bob Dylan - I want you
9. Half Japanese - tell me I'm wrong
10. Lawrence Arabia - fine old friends
11. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - as I gaze (mixed emotions)
12. Paul McCartney and Wings - Junior's farm
13. The Fleshtones - stop foolin' around
14. The Chambers Brothers - all strung out over you
15. Haze - house on a country road
16. Minus 5 - great news around you
APRIL 23, 2010 (1479) Shyboy Tim's Birthday (hence the Beatles mono tendency)
1. Beatles - paperback writer (stereo Hey Jude American release version)
2. Redd Kross - girl in the front row
3. Beach Boys - good vibrations
4. Rolling Stones - I just want to make love to you
5. Beagle - love grows where my Rosemary goes
6. The BackBeat Band - rock n roll music
7. P.I.L. - public image
8. Velvet Underground - white light/white heat
9. Television - marquee moon
10. David Brent - free love freeway
11. Fleshtones - communication breakdown
12. Stereolab - french disko
13. Dead Kennedys - moon over Merin
14. Replacements - sadly beautiful
15. Syd Barrett - baby lemonade
BEATLES IN MONO
16. you can't do that
17. dizzy Miss Lizzy
18. and your bird can sing
19. sexy Sadie
20. things we said today
22. I'm down
Monday, April 26, 2010
I am a creature of habit, and every Thursday morning before we taped our Thursday night Shuffle Function Shyboy Tim and I would order biscuits and gravy from The Hub. And not just any B & G folks, it was the best.
Have you ever read To Kill A Mockingbird or seen the movie? There is a scene in which the main character Scout invites a classmate to her house for lunch. This particular classmate is from the country and when they sit down at the table to eat he horrifies Scout by pouring maple syrup all over his food. Scout had never seen such a thing, and she is told by her family's housekeeper that it is just what country folk do. From this I discovered I am country folk. The Hub embraced my syrup loving ways and gave me a heaping dose of the sweet stuff every time I ordered biscuits and gravy. In fact I didn't even have to ask for it, they just knew.
This morning word quickly swept through Campus that The Hub had closed their doors for good. I couldn't believe it so I ran over to see for myself. The result of my mad dash is pictured above. I'm not sure what happened, or why this decision was made, I only know that I will miss my weekly dose of B & G. It is rare to find a place that remembers your name, let alone what you want to order, and that kind of service will be sorely missed too.
The Hub always helped us out at the station when we asked. They were an early underwriter for our morning show, and they always helped out with a matching grant and coffee for team sister during the Shuffle Function 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go. Dennis and Lisa were a part of our extended Shuffle Function Family, and I thank them for all their help over the years.
You will be missed!!
Friday, April 23, 2010
I call it GIVE THE BABY THEIR ARMS (aka "FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS").
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST RADIO CO-HOST A GIRL COULD EVER HOPE FOR!!
Thursday, April 22, 2010
We were lucky enough to speak to 1997 National Spelling Bee champ Rebecca Sealfon a few years ago, and she was gracious enough to record a really funny spelling bee promo for our show. Where is she today? We'd really like to know. She was studying at Princeton, but the trail vanishes after that point.
Here's a clip of her tearing it up at The Bee. Ignore the Cheap Seats dudes making fun of a child, and marvel at her incredible skills.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Monday, April 19, 2010
The new video from LCD Soundsystem is here, and it is a trip. "Drunk Girls" is both hilarious and sinister, and it feels like at any moment something could go wrong and turn into a snuff film. Can't take my eyes off of it.
SOME OF THE KMSU SPRING PLEDGE DRIVE SWAG IS ON IT'S WAY TO YOUR MAILBOX (we are still waiting for the Stax Set and World Cafe CD's).
You should be receiving a bill from KMSU in the mail very soon, if you haven't already. Don't throw away any envelopes that arrive with KMSU or MSU Mankato on them!! They will probably contain your bill. If yu have any questions please don't hesitate to give Gully a call at the station or drop us an email. We will gladly pass your questions along.
CONGRATULATIONS TO PETE
He won the Blue Ray Package that Degroods's Electronics and Appliances donated to the station to give away during the Shuffle Function 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go.
exhibit B) winner #2
Pete is a happy music geek camper!!
Sunday, April 18, 2010
I hope everybody out there had a great Record Store Day! Shelley and I were at the gate waiting patiently with several music geeks for Tune Town to open up. Let me tell you, it's a good feeling to be in a stampede of vinyl junkies entering a record store, and the junkies were out in full force that day.
Shelley and I both had pretty good hauls, and we'll be spinning them on Monday morning during the show. I haven't broken the shrink wrap on mine yet, so that'll add to my experience. But we're gonna have all kinds of Record Store Day finds to unleash.
I also picked up a DVD for a documentary called I Need That Record, that talks about the struggles of independent record stores, as well as how messed up record labels are. Very interesting music geek stuff, especially for those of us that worship the record store experience.
1. Haze - let's have a party
2. Apples In Stereo - no one in the world
3. LCD Soundsystem - all my friends
4. The Kinks - she's got everything
5. Fleshtones - shadowline (for J. Conrad)
6. Thee American Revolution - she's coming down
7. Navigator - ghost
8. William Shatner - that's me trying
9. Captain Beefheart - safe as milk
10. Flaming Lips - psychiatric explorations of the fetus with needles
11. XX - VCR
12. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy w/Cairo Gang - merciless and great
13. K-OS - uptown girl
14. Phenomenal Handclap Band - 15 to 20
15. Meryn Cadell - the sweater
16. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - dynomite
APRIL 13, 2010 (1471)
1. Beatles - hey bulldog (mono)
2. Matt Pond PA - the dark leaves theme
3. R.E.M. - disturbance at the Heron House
4. Dr. Dog - Jackie wants a black eye
5. Jay Reatard - my reality
6. Joy Division - transmission
7. The Kit Kats - sweet little rock n roller
8. Mingering Mike - there's nothing wrong with you
9. The Who - our love was
10. The Dead Weather - die by the drop
11. DJ B.C. - can't you hear Biz knockin'?
12. The Fleshtones - Cara-lin
13. The Clash - radio clash
14. Rotary Connection - tales of brave Ulyssess
15. The Sands - listen to the sky
16. Gordan Gano and The Ryans - man in the sand
APRIL 14, 2010 (1472)
1. Sic Alps - super lungs (my supergirl)
2. Velevet Underground - oh sweet nothin'
3. Connie Bailey Ray - are you here?
4. Yo La Tengo - coloured
5. The Drive By Truckers - Daddy learned to fly
6. The Byrds - hickory wind
7. Broken Bells - October
8. Replacements - unsatisfied
9. The Champagne Socialists - blue genes
10. Elmore James - shake your money maker
11. Happy Birthday - girls FM
12. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - space oddity
13. The Fleshtones - can't get enough of your love
14. Robert Pollard - love is stronger than witchcraft
15. Eddie Current Suppression Ring - tunning out
16. The Cardboards - Bill's rap
17. Aplles In Stereo - go
APRIL 15, 2010 (1473)
1. Spinal Tap - tonight we're gonna rock you tonight
2. Ramones - I want to be sedated
3. Brilliant Colors - absolutely anything
4. Mrs. Miller - yellow submarine
5. The Fleshtones - nothings going to bring me down
6. Ramones - Rockaway Beach
7. Los Yaki - de dia y de noche
8. My Robot Friend - failure
9. Gil Scott Heron - I'm new here
10. Black Flag - TV party
11. Ramones - do you wanna dance?
12. Bob Dylan - a hard rains going to fall
13. Nina Simone - here comes the sun
14. Surfer Blood - floating vibes
15. The Liter - action woman
16. Lee Hazelwood - boots
17. Dessa - the crow
18. Atmosphere - like the rest of us
19. Neil Young - after the goldrush
20. The Backbeat Band - good golly Miss Molly
21. They Might Be Giants - the sun shines (the sun is a mass of incandescent gas)
APRIL 16, 2010 (1474) A THANK YOU SPECIAL EDITION OF SHUFFLE FUNCTION RADIO ROULETTE (to celebrate meeting the KMSU Spring Pledge
1. Bobby Vinton - trouble is my middle name
2. Frankie lane - Jezebelle
3. Johnny Fargo - surrender
4. Elton John - Lucy in the sky with diamonds
5. Styx - don't let it end
6. Loverboy - turn me loose
7. Charlie Daniels Band - devil went down to Georgia
8. Earth Wind and Fire - after the love is gone
9. Ted Nugent - cat scratch fever
10. Sparks - I predict
11. Santanna - persuasion
12. Def Leppard - rock of ages
13. Lovin' Spoonfull - summer in the city
14. Mini-Pops - ebony and ivory
15. Jimmy Ruffin - what's become of the broken hearted?
16. Babys - everytime I think of you
Thanks to everyone who called in and picked a number!! This could have been the worst two hours of Shuffle Function ever, but it was one of the best rounds of Roulette ever!!
Friday, April 16, 2010
Just a quick note to thank everyone who participated in Shuffle Function Radio Roulette!! It could have been the worst two hours of radio, but it was actually probably one of the best rounds of Radio Roulette we've ever had. Thanks also to the Radio Gods, who are apparently big fans of Baconaise. It was a great way to celebrate having met the KMSU Spring Pledge Drive goal because Shyboy Tim and I had a chance to talk with so many of you. Other than the very first track ShyBoy Tim chose to kick things off, listeners were responsible for all of the other picks. That was pretty awesome.
Tomorrow is Record Store Day, a celebration of independently owned mom and pop record stores across the nation. Every year musicians offer up a chance to grab up some Record Day exclusives on vinyl, and this year has some amazing jaw-dropping items to choose from, not to mention all the new releases!! Surf over to the official web site for more information and locations, but I expect to see a bunch of you outside Tune Town at 10:00 am tomorrow morning! If you are a facebook fan, I would encourage you to head over to the Tune Town fan page. You can start compiling your shopping list!
Thursday, April 15, 2010
SO - tomorrow morning we will all have the opportunity to test the will of the Radio Gods with a special two hour round of Shuffle Function Radio Roulette! We will take a big cannonball jump into my K-Tel Record collection - but with one big difference, YOU CAN PLAY ALONG TOO!! Give us a call at the station tomorrow, or drop us an email with the number you would like to pick, somewhere between 1 - 450. We will then pull out the corresponding K-tel Record, flip the coin to determine the side and roll the dice to determine which track to play. The radio fates are now in your hands as well, so think good thoughts and don't hesitate to make an offering of some kind toward your radio. Shyboy Tim and I will head out to the tower to make another offering to the Radio Gods, in hopes of their cooperation. After the last horrific round we did during the Shuffle Function 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go, we really need to make this one count!
So tune in Friday morning and play along from home, or work, or wherever you happen to be, and thanks again to all of the Radio Heroes who helped us meet our pledge drive goal. Cross your fingers, and wish us all luck tomorrow!!
To make your K-Tel Record selection, contact us at 389 - 5678 or 1 - 800 - 456 - 7810. If you prefer the on-lines and the e-mails, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
OH DUDE - HOW COULD I FORGET?!! WE ARE GIVING AWAY THANK YOU GIFTS!!!TUNE IN TOMORROW FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN!!!
Monday, April 12, 2010
Sunday, April 11, 2010
A BIG THANKS TO DeGROOD'S ELECTRONICS AND APPLIANCES FOR THEIR GENEROSITY, AND GOOD LUCK!
Shyboy Tim and I would like to extend a hearty thank-you to all of the local businesses that helped us out during the Shuffle Function 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go. If you frequent any of these establishments, please be sure to thank them for supporting KMSU and public radio.
The Radio Heroes include:
Joe Miller's Modern Garage (haiku champs!)
St. Peter Food Co-op and Deli
The Sugar Room
Patrick's on Third
Wine Cafe and Wine Rack
The Fillin' Station
Once Read Bookstore
Hilltop Hy-Vee Bakery
Red Sky Lounge
Retro Ron's Records and Vintage Electronics
Austin's Auto Repair
Angie's Kettle Corn
Arizona Cleaning Company (Austin, Mn.)
1. The Fleshtones - r.i.g.h.t.s.
2. Nellie McKay - how are you?
3. Dr. Dog - Jackie wants a black eye
4. Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
5. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and The Cairo Gang - troublesome houses
6. The Black Keys - tighten up
7. Haze - loud and proud
8. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - paralyzed
9. LCD Soundsystem - drunk girls
10. Sharon Jones and The Dapkings - give it back
11. Dead Weather - die by the drop
12. Johnnie Taylor - Jody's got your girl and gone
13. Matt Pond PA - running wild
14. B.J.Snowden - in Canada
15. Bruce McCollouch - vigil
APRIL 6, 2010 (1466) Happy Birthday to THE MAN!
1. The Fleshtones - let's go!
2. Pixies - here comes your man
3. Dum Dum Girls - bhang bhang I'm a burnout
4. Let's Wrestle - it's not gong to happen
5. Frank Black and The Catholics - I need peace
6. Terry Reid - speak now and forever hold your peace
7. MC5 - American ruse
8. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - geiger counter
9. Frank Black - men in black
10. MC5 - I can only give you everything
11. The Beatles - tomorrow never knows (take one) (mono)
12. The Pixies - debaser
13. Black Francis - dead man's curve
14. Terry Reid - superlungs my supergirl
APRIL 7, 2010 (1467)
1. The Fleshtones - communication breakdown
2. The BarKays - son of shaft
3. Harlem - friendly ghost
4. Motorhead - train kept a rollin'
5. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - my underwear froze to the clothesline
6. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - get ready for love
7. Nina Simone - funkier than a mosquito's tweeter
8. Frank Zappa - Joe's garage
9. Richard and Linda Thompson - I want to see the bright lights tonight
10. The Replacements - another girl another planet
11. LCD Soundsystem - jump in the fire
12. Evolution Control Committee - rocked by rape
APRIL 8, 2010 (1468)
1. The Legendary Stardust Cowboy - mixed emotions (as I gaze)
2. Carla Thomas - b-a-b-y
3. The Fleshtones - right side of a good thing
4. Sammy Davis Jr. - high heeled sneakers
5. Staples Singers - I'll take you there
6. Bill Withers - lovely day
7. Daniel Johnston - true love will find you in the end
8. Tom Waits - King Kong
9. The Fleshtones - American Beat 84'
10. Otis and Carla - tramp
11. Otis Redding - shake
12. Tom Tom Club - genius of love
13. Daniel Johnston - life in vain
14. Sam and Dave - soothe me
15. X - the world's a mess/it's in my kiss
16. Eddie Floyd - knock on wood
17. They Might Be Giants - man, it's so loud in here
18. Wings - jet
19. Sam and Dave - soul man
APRIL 9, 2010 (1469)
1. Queen - we are the champions
2. LCD Soundsystem - drunk girls
3. Sharon Jones and The Dapkings - Mama don't like my man
4. H.G. Lewis - suburban roulette
5. Sex Pistols - EMI
6. The Fleshtones - can't get enough of your love
7. Strange Boys - night might
8. Ramones - rock n roll high school
9. Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM
10. Shout Out Louds - fall hard
11. Bis - love will tear us apart
12. Modern Lovers - road runner
13. Malcolm McLarren and The World's Famous Supreme Team - buffalo gals
14. Bow Wow Wow - I want candy
15. Sex Pistols - problems
16. Black Francis - six legged man
17. The Fleshtones - b.y.o.b.
18. Free Energy - young hearts
19. The Hotrats - queen bitch
20. Lou Reed - all through the night
21. The Beatles - I'm so tired (stereo)
22. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - I love my bed
Thursday, April 08, 2010
So now what? We gotta celebrate this landmark, gang. What do you want to do? How should we mark the occasion? Think it over, and then drop us a line at email@example.com. Should we risk a morning of Shuffle Function Radio Roulette? Go all vinyl? Pick an utterly regrettable theme for the morning? WHAT TO DO?
Again, thanks for all of your confidence in KMSU. Your generosity is unbelievable.
gotta go - but thank you Radio Heroes. I really can't thank you enough.
Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Please do what you can to help us reach that goal today. Call 389 - 5678 or 1 - 800 - 456 - 7810, or drop us an email with your pledge at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Zoinks! We put the call out, and the radio heroes do their part! We managed to chop $1045 off the remainder of the pledge drive goal, and all but $190 of that is from Shuffle Function listeners! THANK YOU! It means so much that you guys value KMSU's place in the community, and you know how much of a difference your generosity makes. Time and again we're humbled by just how much you step up and do your part. Words and pixels can't really express how much it means.
So... $1455. One really busy morning of pledges and we'll have less than $1000 left to go. LESS THAN $1000 ON THE BIGGEST DRIVE GOAL KMSU HAS HAD SINCE WE STARTED UP HERE! Or even better, we'll kill it off all together. Unbelievable. So close. Like, "you can see the light at the end of the tunnel" close.
I know there aren't many of you out there that haven't pledged, but if you are one of the few that hasn't taken that step, please do so now. We know that the drive gets tough towards the end, but we believe in the station and we believe in you. My guess is that you do realize what a big difference you would make if you pledged, but for whatever reason you haven't taken that step. If you don't have the cash, that's cool. Everybody gets that, especially at this time in history.
If you can spare ten bucks, twenty bucks, or more, you will be doing your part to help keep an independent voice alive and on the air in a time of corporate politico mouthpiece BS. This is a station staffed by real people - real volunteers - that believe in the station and believe in the community, and they do this because they friggin' love the station. We're radio by true believers for true believers, and if you're a true believer then you should pick up that phone and call.
P.S.: If we don't meet the full drive goal by Thursday night, we'll have to do whatever it takes to reach the goal Friday. We don't want to, but we can play rough.
Tuesday, April 06, 2010
Here's some quick number flinging:
- Of the total number of people that listen to any given public radio station, ONLY 10% ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE! 10% of the listeners are carrying the load for the remaining 90%. If we could double the amount of people that contribute on average, we would probably be able to get by with only ONE PLEDGE DRIVE A YEAR!
- The total dollar amount raised so far during Shuffle Function and the 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go is approximately $21,100. That means that right now, 84% OF THE TOTAL PLEDGES HAVE BEEN RAISED BY PEOPLE LISTENING TO SHUFFLE FUNCTION! At least I think so. I'm a DJ, not a mathematician. This is nothing short of amazing. This is a fact that Shuffle Function listeners should be insanely proud of. I know I am!
What I am ultimately proposing is this: Shuffle Function listeners should mop up the last $2500 in the pledge drive. If they do that, then that would mean that 94% OF THE PLEDGES WOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN DURING SHUFFLE FUNCTION HOURS!That would be a pretty remarkable showing for 10% of the listeners.
Can we do this? Absolutely. KMSU listeners have proven time and again that they value the place that an independent media voice has in their community, and they realize the importance of their contributions. This has been illustrated by the sheer number of ten and twenty dollar pledges that we've received. This says that folks are willing to help out, even though they might not have a lot of extra cash, because they know how important their pledge is.So right now I'm talking to you, remaining 90%. Your donation makes a big difference. Any amount helps. We can make this goal, but only if you take that step towards either renewing your membership, or becoming a brand new member.
We're here. We're waiting.Shyboy
WEDNESDAY MORNING UPDATE:
Shyboy Tim and I just arrived at the station to find a note stating that we are now just $2,080 away from reaching the station goal of $25,ooo!! Please we can do this people - the phone numbers are above, please call!!
UPDATE! As of 8am Wednesday morning, Shuffle Function listeners (including four new members!) have pulled through and dropped the remaining drive amount down to $1745! KEEP UP THE PLEDGES! We're so close! CALL NOW!
Monday, April 05, 2010
Sunday, April 04, 2010
We are within shouting distance of that goal but we do need to hear from some more listeners. If you have already pledged, Radio Hero, then I salute you. If you haven't done so yet, Shyboy Tim and I will be playing some amazing brand spankin' new music to entice your support. We hope to spin new Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings, Dr. Dog, Apples In Stereo, Dead Weather, Black Keys, David Byrne and Fatboy Slim, and last but not least LCD SOUNDSYSTEM. None of the artists I just listed have any kind of regular rotation at those "other" radio stations, but they sure do here!
I am going to post some swag that we have available as a thank-you gift when you make your pledge. Have a look around tonight, and then tune in tomorrow for some great new music and to make your pledge of support for community radio. See you in the morning ShuffleFunctioneers!!
LISTEN TO YOUR STATION MANAGER PEOPLE!! HE SAYS "HAVE A LOOK AT THE SWAG, CALL AND MAKE YOUR PLEDGE, AND THEN PLAY SOME DEAD!!"
Have a peek:
No, I'm just kidding. This is what it looks like!
SHUFFLE FUNCTION PLAYLIST FOR MARCH 29 - APRIL 1, 2010
MARCH 29, 2010 (1461)
1. I'm From Barcelona - paper planes
2. The Band w/The Staples Singers - the weight
3. Andrew Bird - sovay
4. Hello Seahorse - lost cause heart
5. The Evening Rig - takin' mine
6. Drink Up Buttercup - young ladies
7. Sam Champion - like a secret
8. Guided By Voices - best of Jill Hives
9. Built To Spill - conventional wisdom
10. Drive By Truckers - daddy learned to fly
11. Yardbirds - shapes of things
12. The Hotrats - queen bitch
13. Cat Power - stuck inside of Memphis with the Mobile blues again
14. Joey Ryan and The Inks - shame on me once (shame on you twice)
15. Gray Goods - blue skies
16. Titania - outdoor miner
MARCH 30, 2010 (1462)
1. The Beatles - baby it's you (mono)
2. The Fleshtones - shadowline
3. Boy Genius - when Sunday goes
4. Replacements - tossin' and turnin'
5. American Girls - heavy and struck
6. Clark Kent - don't care
7. Dirty Mac - yer blues
8. Dirty Mac - whole lot of Yoko
9. Shooby Taylor - somewhere over the rainbow
10. Ed Ackerson - carried away
11. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - paralyzed
12. Nick Drake - three hours
13. Parliament - tear the roof off the sucka (give up the funk)
14. Sex Pistols - did you no wrong
15. Claps - fireworks
16. Devo - wer'e through being cool
17. New Standards - maps
18. Beatifics - last thing on my mind
19. Velvet Underground - venus in furs
MARCH 31, 2010 (1463)
1. Velvet Underground - rock n roll
2. White Stripes - Jolene
3. Rolling Stones - country honk
4. Black Hollies - don't be afraid to ask
5. Howlin' Wolf - moanin' at midnight
6. Sam and Dave - hold on I'm coming
7. The Kinks - picture book
8. Everybody Was In The French Resistance......Now!! - creeque allies
9. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - who's knockin' at my door?
10. Booker T and The M.G.'s - time is tight
11. Soft Boys - there's nobody like you
12. The Fleshtones - all around the world
13. Linda Lyndell - what a man
14. Pixies - monkey gone to heaven
15. The Cramps - tear it up
16. Social Distortion - ring of fire
17. Florence Foster Jenkins - Biassy
18. Buzzcocks - ever fallen in love
19. Daniel Johnston - walking the cow
APRIL 1, 2010 (1464) APRIL FOOL'S DAY
1. let my love open the door in the style of Pete Townsend
2. the kids are allright in the style of The Who
3. changes in the style of David Bowie
4. turning Japanese in the style of The Vapors
5. where is my mind? in the style of The Pixies
6. cruel to be kind in the style of Nick Lowe
7. beautiful world in the style of Devo
8. what a fool believes in the style of Michael McDonald
9. once in a lifetime in the style of The Talking Heads
10. keep feeling (fascination) in the style of Human League
11. Mayor of Simpleton in the style of XYC
12. born to run in the style of Bruce Springsteen
13. lonely boy in the style of Andrew Gold
14. I go to Rio in the style of Peter Allen
15. don't let's start in the style of They Might Be Giants
16. wanted: dead or alive in the style of Bon Jovi
17. battle of who could care less in the style of Ben Folds Five
18. Sheena is a punk in the style of The Ramones
19. panic in the style of The Smiths
20. million miles away in the style of The Plimsouls
SHUFFLE FUNCTION PLAYLIST FOR MARCH 22 - 26, 2010
MARCH 22, 2010 (1456)
1. Salt - hung up
2. BMRC - beat the devil's tattoo
3. Love Is All - bigger bolder
4. The Flatlanders - Dallas
5. Jonathan Richman - rock and roll drummer from teh hop-ital
6. Neil Young - tonight's teh night
7. Devo - working in a coal mine
8. Let's Wrestle - I'm in love with destruction
9. White Stripes - Jolene
10. Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - crimson and clover
11. Liars - the overachievers
12. Aerosmith - sweet emotion
13. David Bowie - look back ina anger
14. Shotgun Fiction - moving towards something
15. The Mood Swings - let's go
16. The Clash - police on my back
17. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - I walk a hot wind
18. The Who - a quick one (while he's away)
MARCH 23, 2010 (1457)
1. Nina Simone - Suzanne
2. Eddy Current Supression Ring - tuning out
3. X- soul kitchen
4. Stereolab - ping pong
5. Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs - the kids are allright
6. Fleshtones - hexbreaker
7. Beck - gamma ray
8. Ed Ackerson - carried away
9. Drive By Truckers - daddy learned to fly
10. Jayhawks - clouds
11. She and Him - in the sun
12. Latvian Radio - suzie singable
13. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - who's knockin' at my door
14. Hindu Love Gods - raspberry beret
15. Prince - pop life
16. Pizzicato Five - twiggy twiggy
17. Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt - iotdwykiyhtbr
18. unknown - Ben/I miss you Ben
MARCH 24, 2010 (1458)
1. Badfinger - no matter what
2. Aloha - moonless march
3. Asobu Seksu - new years
4. Frank Zappa - San Berdino
5. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - down in the wrecking yard
6. Hotrats - I can't stand it
7. KC and The Sunshine Band - I'm your boogie man
8. Devo - smart patrol/Mr. DNA
9. The Rapture - heaven
10. John Cale - fear is a man's best friend
11. Gorillaz - some kind of nature
12. Howlin' Wolf - rockin' daddy
13. Strange Boys - night might
14. The Whigs - kill me Carolyn
15. MC5 - ramblin' Rose
16. Warren Zevon and Bruce Springsteen - disorder in the house
17. Backbeat Band - rock n roll music
18. Shandells - gorilla
MARCH 25, 2010 (1459)
1. James Brown - get on the good foot
2. Nick Drake - poor boy
3. Sonny and The Sunsets - death cream
4. Drink Up Buttercup - heavy hand
5. The Monks - love came tumbling down
6. Happy Birthday - girls fm
7. The Alarm Clocks - no reason to complain
8. Lawrence Arabia - fine old friends
9. Buddy Holly - not fade away
10. Rolling Stones - sway
11. Deerhoof - milkman
12. Pixies - bam thwok
13. Mr. Airplane Man - c'mon DJ
14. Slumber Party - electric boots
15. Can - oh, yeah
16. A Certain ratio - do the du
17. The Fleshtones - all around the world
18. The Who - shakin' all over
19. Paul Westerberg - drop them gloves
20. Taj Mahal - ain't that a lot of love
MARCH 26, 2010 (1460)
1. Flying Burritto Brothers - six days on the road
2. Bob Dylan - like a rolling stone
3. The Quick - Berts' apple crumble
4. Positively 13 O'Clock - psychotic reaction
5. Animated Sounds - sock ot to me baby in the house of shock
6. Chambers Brothers - time has come today
7. Norwegian Rocky Horror Picture Show - tiden blir skrudd (time warp)
8. Rufus Thomas - breakdown (pt 1 and 2)
9. Rufus Thomas - funky chicken
10. Johnnie Taylor - Jody's got your girl and gone
11. Luther Ingram - if loving is you is wrong I don't want to be wrong
12. War w/Eric Burdon - tobacco road
13. Ike and Tina Turner - I've been loving you too long
Saturday, April 03, 2010
This marathon capped a year of achieving the unobtainable: We found out who the mystery band was, we were able to get The Legendary Stardust Cowboy and The Fleshtones to play this year's KMSU Listener Appreciation show, and Grind-Fu Cinema gained a budget! And to have all of this result in Haze, the Mystery Band, actually come down and hang out with us during the marathon was an incredible way to go full circle with everything.
It all gets pretty fuzzy by the end of a marathon, but I think math-wise KMSU sat at nearly 21,300 dollars by six pm Friday. To have raised this much in such a short period of time is pretty exciting, and it's a testament to the quality of listeners we have. You're generosity is pretty humbling, and time and again you come through. This is a big part of why we only have two pledge drives a year, and it is an even bigger part of why we may actually be dug out of the hole we were in before the drive.
I slept for about 12 hours. I woke up, looked at my watch, saw it was 7:30, and thought I had slept past Grind-Fu Cinema! Then I realized it was a.m. So... don't forget about the special post-marathon Grind-Fu Cinema tonight at 7 in Wiecking 220 Auditorium, on the campus of Minnesota State University, Mankato. It's gonna be fun.
Thanks again, everybody!
It was another amazing and incredible Shuffle Function 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go, and it was all because of you. I'm not going to lie - this was a tough one for Shyboy Tim and I. Shyboy only got two hours of sleep on Thursday before we began, and my health has been far from good the last few weeks. Each of us experienced our moments of hitting the wall, but we were able to get to the end, and it was only due to the support of KMSU listeners!
A great big thanks to Team Sister (Carola has been adopted to the Shuffle Function Family!) Scooter Polanski, Gully, and Sugar Daddy Philip. We are such a wreck by the end, there is just no way that we could juggle all the things that pop up during the marathon. And an extra special big bear hug to Baby Tang, Soli The Wolf, and Diamond from the "Mystery Band" Haze. They added so much laughter and support all morning long and it was such a treat to play the mystery record and talk Beatles with them. With everyone's help and your calls of support we managed to complete our eighth year in a row of marathons!!
We hope to see you all tonight at the special edition of Grind-Fu Cinema tonight. It will be a blast to sit back, relax, watch two great films, and thank you guys in person. See you tonight!!
Oh - and HOLY CRAP! The Legendary Stardust Cowboy and The Fleshtones are coming to town!!
1. The Pugz - Mari in love
2. Replacements - color me impressed
3. Redd Kross - lady in the front row
4. Modern Lovers - road runner
5. Oneida - all around 'er
6. The Fleshtones - all around the world
7. Backbeat Band - (money) that's all I want
8. Legendary Stardust Cowboy - New Jersey Turnpike
9. Stumpus MAximus and The Good Ol' Boys - please release me
10. Elvis Costello and The Attractions - what's so funny about peace love and understanding
Friday, April 02, 2010
1. Guitar Wolf: Jet Beer
2. John Cale: Russian Roulette
3. Dictionarioke: Easy
4. The Who: A Quick One (While He's Away)
5. The Damned: Neat Neat Neat
6. Mel Smith: Pretty Plaid Skirt
7. Stooges: Search and Destroy
8. Only Ones: Another Girl, Another Planet
9. Husker Du: 8 Miles High
And we are working on raising $1000 to match a donation from our Sugar Daddy, Philip.
Hour 22: We are getting so close...to the goal, to the end of the 24 hour pledge drive, please pledge now!
1. Heavenly States: Lost in the Light
2. Prince: Days of Wild [clean version]
3. Fleshtones: Cara-lin
4. David Bowie: Growin’ Up
5. Red Shadow Economic Rock-n-Roll Band: Understanding Marx
6. Booker T.: Native New Yorker
7. Lackthereof: What a Fool Believes
And, the largest matching grant to date: $400 from the Mankato Clinic. We made it!! Thank you to the Clinic and to our devoted listeners.
1. Everybody is in the French Resistance…..Now!: Creeque Allies
2. Flying Burrito Brothers: Hot Burrito #2
3. The Court and Spark: Out on the Water
4. The Make Up: They Live by Night
5. Ramones: Judy is a Punk
6. Sonics: Have Love Will Travel
7. Yo La Tengo: Tom Courtenay
8. Polyphonic Spree with Yoko Ono: You and I
9. Nina Simone: Here Comes the Sun
10. Strange Boys: Night Might
11. Staple Singers: Respect Yourself
12: Elvis Costello: Deep Dark Truthful Mirrors
And, THREE matching grants for the hour:
Angie’s Kettle Corn, Fillin’ Station and Austin’s Auto Repair. Good work radio heroes!!
1. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Today’s Lesson
2. Public Enemy: Brothers Gonna Work It Out
3. Tim Hutt: Lottery Song
4. The Fleshtones: American Beat ‘84
5. Jonathan Richman: Lonely Little Thrift Store
6. Carl Perkins: Everybody’s Trying to Be My Baby
7. Sweet Trip: Chocolate Matter
8. Legendary Stardust Cowboy: Paralyzed
9. Television: See No Evil
10. National Lampoon: Handy Household Hint
11. The New Standards: Such Great Heights
12. William Bell: You Don’t Miss Your Water
And, a Big THANK YOU to our matching grants for hour Twenty:
Wow Zone, Prairie Pride and Papa George Pizza. You are radio heroes!!
Totally random radio went bad. Very, very bad. “Soul-sucking bad” according to Shelley. Here is the play list:
1. Dionne Warwick and Luther Vandross: How Many Times Can We Say Goodbye
2. Hot: Angel in Your Arms
3. Golden Earring: Twilight Zone
4. Sesame Street: C is for Cookie Monster (yes, we played Sesame Street during the pledge drive)
5. Fats Domino: Whole Lotta Lovin’
6. Earl Mitton: Maple Sugar
And then, thankfully, things took a turn for the better:
7. Joan Jett: I Love Rock-n-Roll
8. The Tokens: The Lion Sleeps Tonight