Friday, October 22, 2010

HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION: TIM'S HALLOWEEN POST

All my life I've been obsessed with the movies Psycho and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Obsessed is probably a bad word, considering the subject matter, but needless to say I'm a big big fan of these movies.



Lots of people have seen these films and have been horrified by them, but what some people may not realize is that they were actually inspired by true events. In fact, they were inspired by this man...

Ed Gein

I'll spare you the details, because they are readily available on the interwebs. They involved grave robbing, murder, interior decoration, and fashion (of a sort.) It's pretty gruesome stuff.

So this summer I was making the rounds, doing a big old road trip through Wisconsin. I was in Appleton checking out Houdini stuff and was on my way to Madison, when I realized that halfway between the two cities was...
Plainfield, WI. Ed Gein's old stomping grounds. The scene of the crimes.
This town of around 800 was the home of some of the most horrifying crimes in American history. The fact that we are still talking about them decades later must give you an idea of what I'm talking about. So since I was in the neighborhood, I passed through. I didn't actually get out and talk to folks, because the last thing I wanted to do was bug people that probably are not too proud of this particular claim to fame. I did take photos, though.


This TruValue Hardware store was where Ed killed his last victim. It was this crime that got him caught.


At the corner of 2nd and Archer is where the old Gein house once stood. It was here that much of the horrible stuff happened. It was burned down by folks from town not long after he was caught.


The entrance to the property, which is filled with No Trespassing Signs.


This is the Gein family plot. You see brother, mother, father...


...and this gap is where Ed's grave is. After getting vandalized for 25 years, somebody stole the marker. It turned up a year later, but is now kept in a museum.
So yeah... it was weird. Then I went to Taliesin.

Happy Halloween, everybody!
Shyboy

2 comments:

autumnmay said...

Yeah! Halloween is so near! We better get ready for that event, and also pray for your love ones in the heaven.

zena said...

Nice pictures collections!It's great idea to enjoying halloween.Thanks for share with us.