Thursday, October 28, 2010
The Pre - Shuffle Function Radio Roulette Blog Post (and # 29 for those playing along at home)
Tonight at 6 p.m. Shyboy Tim and I celebrate Halloween the scariest way imaginable to a couple of control freaks - we let the fates control the playlist. It is Shuffle Function Radio Roulette! We dive into my extensive K-Tel Record collection (about 500 albums) and see what happens. Here is how we play:
1) Each K-Tel album is numbered. We heve written down each number on a slip of paper and tossed all of them into a magic hat. We begin by closing our eyes and reaching into the magic hat for a number.
2) I grab the corresponding K-Tel album out of the pile.
3) Shyboy Tim flips a coin to see which side of the record to play. Heads is side one or A, and tails is side 2 or B.
4) Shyboy Tim then rolls a ten sided dice (from his magic bag of holding) to determine whish track to play.
5) I cue up the song and we jump for joy or curse the day we were born, depending on which song has been chosen.
This has been our holiday tradition since the second year we've hosted Shuffle Function, so it is 8 years old tonight. Several years back we had a horrible string of bad luck with the songs - so bad we thought about quiting the Radio Roulette. At that time we thought it best to make offerings to the Radio Gods, to gain their favor, and for the most part it seems to be working. This morning I went out to the KMSU radio tower to leave our offering.
Let's hope it works - you can find out tonight at 6 p.m. at 89.7 fm on your radio dial. I will be back later on tonight with a bunch of photos from the Shuffle Function Radio Roulette show, and more - so check back in tonight for that!