Saturday, January 22, 2011

Goodbye Luddite!! Hello Technology!!

This week I finally got my crap together and got a speedy DSL connection for home. So today I have spent my time streaming movies and videos, something I could not do before without the content buffering every 3 seconds. If you are shaking your head in disbelief, I don't blame you. I will never go back to the "slow on-lines" (or whatever it's called).

With this speedy new found Internet power, the first thing I watched is a documentary on The Fleshtones called 'Pardon Us For Living, But The Graveyards Are Full'. Watching them play on the stage and hearing them tell their story has thrown some gasoline on my already burning bonfire of love for The Fleshtones. If you miss them too, if you can't wait until March 15th for the new album, then this will help. You can watch it on-line for free at the amazing documentary web site called SnagFilms. In fact just in the music section alone, you can watch a number of documentaries that Shyboy Tim and I have mentioned on the air. It's a cold weekend - I suggest you stay in grab a blanket and snacks and watch the following shows.

JUST CLICK ON THE SHOW TITLE AND IT WILL GET YOU WHERE YOU NEED TO GO!

PARDON US FOR LIVING BUT THE GRAVEYARD IS FULL



Did you know that you can also hear a new tune from The Fleshtones? It's called "Comin' Home Baby" and you can hear it here on their Yep Roc home. The new album hits the streets March 15th and is called BROOKLYN SOUND SOLUTION.

OFF THE CHARTS/THE SONG-POEM STORY



Whenever you hear us play a song about height, vans, yellow things, favorite dishes or Jimmy Carter, we are probably playing a song poem. This is a great documentary about a money making gimmick that lucky for us snagged (and continues to snag) thousands of aspiring music superstars. It also gives us a sneak peak into the artists responsible for singing and playing the finished product -like one of my favorites, Gene Marshall. Enjoy!!

DIG!



On the surface this is a documentary about the love/hate affair between two bands, The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre. In reality it is all about Anton Newcombe of BJM. He is like an accident waiting to happen, and you can't take your eyes off of him. The music is great, and keep your eyes open for the Harry Dean Stanton cameo, but after Anton kicks his 3rd or4th person, don't tell me I didn't warn you.

THE NOMI SONG




I just shared a video clip in last week's play list for Klaus Nomi's "Cold Song". If you found yourself wanting more than go no further.

THE FEARLESS FREAKS



I had heard of the Flaming Lips and even liked some of their songs, but I fell in love with them after watching this documentary. If I had just a teeny tiny bit of the energy that Wayne Coyne has I would be a super woman! Their story inspires me and unless The Talking Heads reunite and play the State Fair, The Flaming Lips/Sonic Youth show will always be the best State Fair show ever!!

last but not least, HEAVY METAL PARKING LOT




Often copied, but never as good, this is where it all began. The year is 1986, but just have a look at the haircuts and the names on the t-shirts and you could probably guess that.

All right. I have to get back to the on-lines and see what else I can find. Enjoy the shows - especially The Fleshtones documentary.

Shelley

No comments: