Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Wednesday Morning Show Notes

As far as I am concerned, our show is first and foremost always about the music, but this morning Shyboy Tim and I went on a half hour talking spree about art documentaries. A few people asked if we could make a list of the films we mentioned, and because I have a free hour I would be happy to do that. All of these are amazing, inspiring and in some cases depressing as hell. I hope you get a chance to see a few of them.

HOW TO DRAW A BUNNY


Every time I watch this documentary I am inspired to create something. It follows the career of pop artist outsider Ray Johnson. I love so much of his work, but what really excites me is his mail art.



IN THE REALMS OF THE UNREAL

Henry Darger was a solitary man who worked as a janitor most of his life. When his health took a turn for the worst, his landlords had their first opportunity to peek into Henry's room. What they found was a fully formed imaginary world described in text and art that Darger had been working on his entire life. This is simply amazing.



ART OF THE STEAL

This is the tragic story of a man's lifetime collection of priceless art and what happens after he and his foundation are no longer around to gaurd the integrity of the collection. This will make you angry, and possibly cancel your upcoming trip to Philadelphia!



HERB AND DOROTHY

After you watch The Art Of The Steal, watch this great documentary and renew your hope for the world. This is a film about the Vogels, a couple who have dedicated their lives to art and collecting what they love.



EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP

What begins as a documentation on the world of street artists takes a turn towards the absurd. I don't want to say alot about this - I want you to experience all the twists and turns for yourself.



That's it, I have to get ready for work. I know that you can stream some of these on-line at Netflix, but they are worth tracking down to purchase for your collection. Enjoy!

Shelley

No comments: