Saturday, October 08, 2011

21 DAYS UNTIL GRIND - FU CINEMA SHUFFLE FUNCTIONEERS!!!


Halloween and Grind - Fu Cinema can't get here quick enough!! We have enjoyed picking out spooky tunes this past week on the show, and providing you all with your daily dose of Judson Fountain Radio Dramas. We have more radio traditions involving Halloween than any other holiday, and I love it.


On Thursday October 27th at 6 p.m. we will dig out the crates of K-Tel and play a round of Shuffle Function Radio Roulette. This is something we've done almost from the get go - and you just never know what to expect. I will do a post on the rules of the road concerning roulette as we get closer to the day - but mark your goats in trees calendars appropriately. We only play Radio Roulette three times a year, Halloween and during the Shuffle Function 24 Hour Pledge Drive A-Go-Go, so you don't want to miss it.

On Monday October 31st we will spend a little time with Lux Interior's record collection as we play Radio Cramps: The Purple Knif Show. This was recorded in 1984, and is an example of the music that inspired the spirit of The Cramps as well as being a tribute to old fashioned radio DJ's. This is a lot of fun!

We also have Grind-Fu Cinema on Saturday, October 29th at 7 p.m. We are pleased to present two of the scariest films of all time back to back, The Exorcist and The Shining. For today's post, I want to highlight one of the locations from the film The Exorcist, the stairway. If you have seen the film, then I don't need to remind you of the significance of the steps. I also don't want to give anything away for those who may not have ever seen The Exorcist. I learned the spoiler alert lesson long ago when I accidentally assumed that Tim had finished the new Harry Potter book and I told him that Dumbledore had died. I won't make that mistake again.


The steps used in the film are located on the campus of Georgetown in Washington, D.C., in fact the house where the "McNeil" family lives in the film is at the top of the steps. There are rumors of ghostly figures inhabiting the steps, but many believe that stems from overactive imaginations on the part of movie fanatics. While hunting down the photos I'm about to share with you, I read that Georgetown University has a tradition of screening The Exorcist every Halloween at the nearby Gaston Hall, and then everyone heads over to the steps to begin a tour of locations seen in the film! This sounds like a blast. These steps are also a magnet for fans with cameras eager to document their experience with the "Exorcist Steps". It reminds me of all the Beatles fans who re-enact crossing Abbey Road (follow this link for the Abbey Road live webcam).

I can't say that I blame folks - I would love to do this too! There are a lot of these photographic images out and about on the internet - enjoy!!


Why not do it with a friend?


From such great heights


night time shots


and action shots! (those are not orbs!)


I love these images - I am as geky as these folks are. I myself once went out on a foggy night and tried to re-enact the famous shot of  Father Merrin's arrival underneath a street light. I am all about the big goofy love when it comes to films like the Exorcist, and I can't wait to see it with all of you at Grind - Fu Cinema!!

Shelley

No comments: