Monday, October 10, 2011

AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION REQUIRED - COUNT DOWN TO HALLOWEEN POST #10

SHUFFLE FUNCTION SHORT STORY CHALLENGE


My Mother and I have been going over some old papers, ephemera, and photos that belonged to my Grandfather. It has been an incredible journey through history researching the origins of some of the images, and today I would like to share one of my favorites. The photo above is of Jacob W. Hoover. It dates back to the early 1900's and shows a whiskered man proudly posing with his massive gun. I adore this image, but fell head over heels in love with it after reading the inscription on the back.



It says "Jacob W. Hoover of West Union and the gun that killed the bear".

I have managed to track down on-line the family name and Jacob's history in Iowa but I have been unable to find out anything about that dead bear! But all of this is besides the point. I thought for today's blog post I would challenge all of you to get a little creative. Using Jacob's image above, and the photo I am about to post below, I would like the ambitious folks amongst you in the crowd to come up with a short story to share. Here is the twist -


For our short stories sake I would like it to now read "Jacob W. Hoover of West Union and the gun that killed the zombie".


There is no better way to "Feel The Halloween" than to jump right in and write a ghost slash zombie story. Now I am not looking for an epic saga here (unless you have drunk a lot of coffee and have nothing better to do), just a good campfire story will do. You can get them to us several ways. You can email us your story at shufflefunction@hotmail.com or use the good old post office and send it to us at the following address:

Shuffle Function c/o KMSU
205 A.F.B. MSU Mankato
Mankato, Mn. 56001

You can also drop it off at the station - slide it under our office door if we are not there (and if you come after 8 a.m. we probably won't be). Ask Gully where our office is if you need to.  I look forward to seeing what comes of this. In fact, if all goes well I would love to share some of the results in a later blog post, so get cracking! Grab a pencil, channel your inner zombie and have a go!

Shelley


No comments: