Thursday, October 06, 2011

COUNTDOWN TO HALLOWEEN POST # 6 (66)

I am going to go a bit left of the dial here with this blog post. I am going to get personal today and share something with you that really scares the crap out of me - nuclear war. I grew up in the 1980's and am a product of Ronald Reagan's Doomsday Clock. In fact, I had a poster of him pointing at the clock and proclaiming us all to be "two minutes to midnight". Mushroom clouds haunted my dreams, and nothing illustrated my nightmares better than two movies made for network TV. The first came from America and was called The Day After. It followed a man's struggle to survive in the days and weeks following a nuclear explosion in Kansas. This scared me so bad I think I asked to sleep with my mother the night I saw it!!

THE DAY AFTER (1983)



As frightened as I was, nothing could have prepared me for the second film that came to my television screen not long after. This film came from Britain and was called Threads. It was a more realistic, gritty portrait of what awaited us all if our leaders pushed the button. I have never watched it since seeing it on TV, and unless I want to enjoy having post-apocalyptic dreams for weeks, I don't plan on watching it anytime soon. But if you have never seen it, you should.

THREADS (1984)

 

Shelley

No comments: