Saturday, October 22, 2011

I TAKE IT ALL BACK.............THIS PARTY ROCKS HARDER


Yesterday's blog post featured found photographs of what look to have been an amazing Halloween party back in the early 60's. What I am about to share with you isn't necessarily a Halloween party, in fact it occurs in the middle of the winter, but boy oh boy would it make for an excellent Halloween tradition.  

In parts of Austria and Bavaria the folkspeople still believe in the Goddess Pertcha, who is believed to be the keeper of beasts and evil spirits. This pagan tradition of Pertcha lives on today, as young men dress up in Pertchan masks and parade through their towns to frighten away the evil spirits that accompany the Goddess.

The creatures that they make look like they come straight from a Hollywood Studio - and your nightmares!! They are not for the faint of heart, and I could not imagine how frightening these monsters would seem to children. But like all things that frighten me, I am fascinated with this Pagan Tradition as well.


 

If I win the lottery, you can be sure that I will make a point of attending a Pertcha Festival. I would also make a point of bringing along quite a few adult diapers as well.

 


This kind of thing makes a zombie pub crawl look like a church cake walk!! If you still need a costume idea - I suggest you become a Pertcha beast. You will also help frighten away all the evil spirits around you.

Shelley

No comments: