Saturday, January 14, 2012

Free Spirits, Vagabonds, Bigfoot and Me

Like many folks in their 40's, my fascination in Bigfoot began with the "In Search Of" episode. I can still remember how difficult it was to go to bed after watching it. Even though I was safe and sound in my urban bedroom, I was convinced that in the night I'd hear the pounding of heavy footsteps in the hall and see a giant hairy creature in the doorway. Also around that time the  Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman/Bigfoot episodes also aired, and I have been hooked ever since.


If you are a casual listener of Shuffle Function, then none of this is news to you. Bigfoot rumors and sightings crop up every now and then in our conversations. With the recent boon of paranormal and cryptozoological themed television shows, it is a good time to be a bigfoot fan. Animal Planet's Finding Bigfoot easily tops that list and has enjoyed a lot of media attention as of late. Admittedly there are a number of things that bother me about "Finding Bigfoot", namely how willing they are to declare that the evidence they find is "definitely Sasquatchy", but what I do like about the show is their willingness to actually go out into the field and do research. After watching and episode of "Finding Bigfoot" I am empowered with a sense of  "Well, if they can do it, why can't I?".

In a year where Tim and I have decided to once again be "free spirits and vagabonds" for our New Years resolution, I am gong to have the opportunity to go out into the field and see what I can find. This week I officially became  member of the 2012 Northern Minnesota BFRO Expedition. Around pledge drive time at KMSU, when we are hard pressed to get more pledges, we are fond of playing actual audio tapes of Tim playing 'Radio DJ' when he was ten years old. It's what he wanted to be when he grew up. If I had made such a tape at that age, it very well might have been me playing "Bigfoot Hunter"!! This is a dream come true for me, and one that I want to share with our listening audience. I plan on recording my experiences, with audio and video, and then airing it on Shuffle Function around Halloween time. I realize this is a pretty big "heads up"  - my expedition isn't until September, but I am already making lists and preparations.


I will of course be keeping you all up to date on any developments, and in return feel free to send any questions or suggestions that you may have my way. You can email me at our email address,  shufflefunction@hotmail.com  I have started pouring over bigfoot web sites and articles, and I am sure that the bigfoot chatter on the show will increase - unless Tim says he needs a break (i.e. the month when I went on and on about movie in the 70's after reading Peter Biskind's 'Easy Riders, Raging Bulls'). As Tim so aptly put it when I told him about this,"You can't win the lottery if you never buy a ticket" and though I think the odds of me actually experiencing anything in my expedition are slim to none, I couldn't agree with him any more. We will never find bigfoot if we don't go out into the woods and try, and that's just what I'm going to do!

Shelley

No comments: