Monday, February 06, 2012

In case you missed this last Friday - this scene from Portlandia was made for music geeks.



I love the subtle Phil Collins slam!! On Groundhogs Day we mentioned a couple of times a new show called "Doomsday Preppers" which is airing on the Nat Geo Channel. I have watched the first episode, and don't know what to think. I am fascinated and horrified at the same time, so it may take some time to determine how exactly I feel about this one. If you have some time on your hands, maybe you can see how you feel about it.

here is part one:



here is part two:



here is part three:



and part four:



I am not overly fond of how they handle the "expert opinion" at the end of each segment, but I am intrigued at the amount of time and effort each family has spent thinking about these doomsday scenarios. I have always been a fan of do-it-yourself, be it Foxfire books, making your own bread, or living off the grid, so I admire their efforts in that regard. But where it gets creepy for me is when they show kids putting on gas masks or camping out in the bunkers for a weekend getaway. How do you candy coat the end times for kids? As someone who grew up scared to death of nuclear winter and Reagan's finger on the trigger, I don't know if you can. So that is where I question shows like this. There may be great information here - no doubt, but I can't help but think that if my neices saw a show like this it would scare the crap out of them. I'll have to see what I think after watching the second episode.

Let's end on a happy note, okay. Tonight is the second new episode of Absolutely Fabulous and I for one can't wait to see it! If you have wasted this much time already, why not waste a bit more? This episode has THE BEATLES-ELTON JOHN-APPLE RECORDS-PATSY DANCING JAGGER and YOKO!! and it made me laugh out loud more times than I can count.



The second new episode is supposed to be on teh LOGO channel tonight at 9:30 central time - fingers crossed!!

Shelley

No comments: