Sunday, March 04, 2012

THE MANY LOVES OF SHYBOY TIM #6


The sixth in a series highlighting the seemingly endless pop culture crushes of Shyboy Tim.  In this installment:

LAUREN GRAHAM


Lauren Graham?  MORE LIKE LAUREN YAY-YUM!

Ewww... sorry about that.  I think I just grossed myself out.  But honestly... I've had a crush on Lauren Graham, and not just from Gilmore Girls.  Years earlier she did a multi-episode guest spot on News Radio (a favorite show of mine) and she stood out in a cast of heavy hitters.  She also had some great scenes with Maura Tierney, a future Many Loves awesome person.  Many years later they were both on Celebrity Poker Showdown and ended up battling for the championship, which I'm fairly certain was taken from a page in my dream journal.

But I digress...


Gilmore Girls premiered during a very rough year for me.  A long relationship came to an end, and I was at a crossroads.  I had heard about the show on Aint It Cool News, and the word was that it was smart and well written.  I figured if a show that came off in the ads as being skewed towards a female demographic could win over a male-ish fanboy community that it might be worth  checking out.

So the first thing you hear in the very first episode of Gilmore Girls is The La's song There She Goes, which seemed like a good sign, and then the camera follows Lauren Graham as she crosses the street to meet her daughter for coffee at Luke's Diner.  She then proceeds to cut down a doofus Kerouac wanna be with some amazing dialogue, and I was forever smitten.

I used to get a ridiculous feeling in my chest when she'd appear  on screen, which may say more about where I was at in my life than anything.  Basically, at a time in my life when I was feeling pretty crappy, she was this amazing (albeit fictional) woman that I would totally have fallen in love with if I had met her.  I guess she gave me something to shoot for or something.  Or she just made me lame.  But whatever the case may be, I have been a Lauren Graham fan ever since.

Here's the thing:  I can't watch Parenthood.  I know she's great in it, and I know that she's still super Lauren Graham-y on the show, but after seeing her play Super Mom on Gilmore Girls, I just can't watch her be any other kind of parent.  Can't help it.  Don't wanna argue.


Also, there's Bad Santa.  I'm not going to comment.

Anyway, here's a bunch of Lauren Graham, one of the many loves of Shyboy Tim.

Yours,
Shyboy



No comments: