Wednesday, April 18, 2012

DICK CLARK RIP


For those of you too young to remember, there was once a time when you had to seek out places to see music and videos on television.  They weren't just broadcast 24/7 on TV or available at the click of a mouse.  In those days American Bandstand was a weekly scheduled time to see bands and hear music, and in those days Dick Clark was the king.

He was called the oldest living teenager for years, and until his recent stroke he never seemed to age.  Today, at 82 years of age, Dick Clark died of a heart attack.  While he hadn't done Bandstand for over two decades, he was still a regular presence on New Years Eve, and he was still an icon.

American Bandstand could be pretty damn cheesy, but there were still some remarkable acts on there.  Historic performances by rock and roll gods and unexpected edgy and weird would collide with dated fashion and dance moves on a regular basis.

When I was a kid my family and I went to the Minnesota State Fair and watched a taping of Good Company, an afternoon chat show that was on forever in the Twin Cities.  The guest that day was Dick Clark, and he talked about the show and all the acts, and I was kind of in awe.  As a record collector, even as a pre-teen, I was raised on my Dad's music, and American Bandstand was a part of that era.  I felt like I was in the presence of somebody that was at ground zero when rock and roll was born.  At the time I would have phrased it simpler, but that's totally what I felt.

Anyway, Dick Clark is gone, and with him goes another link to the early days of rock and roll.  Once again, let us praise the interweb gods, for they bestow upon us a bounty of American Bandstand clips for our amusement and blogging activities.

Shyboy


No comments: