Monday, June 18, 2012

06/19/1948: NICK DRAKE


Tuesday, June 19th, is Nick Drake's birthday.  I know yesterday we dedicated the entire show to Paul McCartney, but on this Tuesday's show we're going to be dedicating the entire thing to Nick.  Some people are too significant to give anything less than a full show to, and Nick Drake is one of them.


It's a sad reality that Nick Drake sold more albums after Volkswagon featured Pink Moon in one of their commercials than he did in his entire life, but it is what it is.  With each listen I find it harder and harder to understand how a musician with such talent and insight could be neglected in his own time.  He's one of those artists that I always ask people if they have heard, and if they haven't I'm excited by the fact that I get to be the one to introduce him.  Nick is one that takes you in upon first listen, and from that moment on you are a fan.

We reserve Nick for snowy and rainy days, but on Tuesday the 19th we're giving the day to him.  I hope you guys enjoy it.  Call with your requests, please!  When every one of his songs is a favorite, it's hard to feel like you aren't playing everything that needs to be played.

Also, if you haven't seen the amazing documentary "Nick Drake: A Skin Too Few" you should do so.  I've embedded it at the end of this post.

Tim

No comments: