Wednesday, June 06, 2012

HOW COULD I FORGET IT'S NAME??!! TRUE STORIES

This morning I had a severe case of the forgets, and I couldn't come up with the name of David Byrne's film True Stories. Ugh - that was embarrasing to say the least, and one of a thousand reasons why it is nice to have Shyboy Tim around. But he'll be back rested and ready to rock on Monday morning. In the mean time, let me share with you some highlights from True Stories. This is a quirky, quiet and rockin' movie and if you have never seen it - add it to your que or go out and buy it. You will love it.

This is a clip of the film in German, but that doesn't matter. The song is by Pop Staples and it was my first introduction to his amazing voice. Later when I fell head over heels in love with Stax I was thrilled to recognize him and to discover The Staples Singers.



This next clip is one of myfavorites, Puzzlin' Evidence. It still rings true, as goofy as that may seem.
The actor John Ingle is amazing as The Preacher!



This next clip is brief, but catches Tito Larriva from The Plugz in fine form. Many of the actors sand the songs in the film, but The Talking Heads re-recorded them for their album Trus Stories. It is difficult to say the originals are better than the band, but they sure come close!



Spalding Gray is another star of the film. What I wouldn't give to have been a fly on the wall when he and David Byrne were together!



Long before the Cohen Brothers got a hold of him or Roseanne Barr, John Goodman came onto my radar screen with this performance. In search of love, he sings this song at the talent show. Have a listen - because he sings the hell out of this tune.



I have to end with perhaps the best known clip from the film. Each of the band members appear in front of the mic, you just might nt recognize them!



Enjoy!

Shelley

No comments: