Tuesday, October 08, 2013

COUNTDOWN TO HALLOWEEN BLOG POST No. 8


A few years back we featured Dario Argento's horror masterpiece Suspiria for Grind-Fu Cinema. I have gone on the record about my experiences with this movie many times, but in case you have missed it you should know that I was so frightened by it that I couldn't watch more than just the initial introduction. It is intense to say the least, attacking all your senses at once. The soundtrack is what puts Suspira over the edge for me, and the band responsible for that is Goblin.

                         

You have got to love the on-lines. Here is the entire movie on You-Tube. As I said before, I chickened out on the movie the first time I saw it. The next time I dared try watch it was when Tom Savini was hosting a night of favorite horror films on TV. He dared the viewer to turn off all the lights, turn the volume up as high as possible and give it a go! I did just that and challenge you to do the same.


The band has undergone a number of line-up changes throughout the years, but Goblin is together once again and touring North America for the first time ever. They are playing at The Varsity Theater in Minneapolis on November 30th. If you are a prog fan, it doesn't get any better than this.

        

Here is Goblin performing the theme to Suspiria live in 2011.

I didn't know this before now, but Goblin also did the European soundtrack to George Romero's Dawn Of The Dead. They also have several tracks on the American release. This makes sense because The Argento's and Romereo's were very close. Again, all praise the glory of the on-lines! After you watch Suspiria, you can watch this, the director's cut of Dawn Of The Dead.

                       

You have a scary night ahead of you folks! If you ever run into Scooter Polanski, feel free to talk Dawn Of The Dead with him - he has even been to the Monroeville Mall!!

Shelley

No comments: