Wednesday, January 15, 2014

THE AFTERLIFE OF STING


There's no good explanation for why I was thinking about Sting appearing on Saturday Night Live.  My days of Sting fandom have long since passed.  I liked The Police, and I think his first solo album is really good.  I even saw him live in 1991 at Northrup Auditorium.  He was always pretty smug, but when he did an ad for Jaguar I tuned out forever.  After a while he just became too much.



In 1991 Sting was both the host and musical guest on Saturday Night Live.  It was during the Phil Hartman/Mike Meyers/Dana Carvey years, so the show could be counted on for laughs.  The single funniest moment on the show was a skit where Sting got into an elevator with a guy.  The guy in the elevator recognizes Sting and proceeds to sing a bunch of his songs to him.  Then another guy gets in and starts doing the same thing.  After a while it gets to be too much for Sting, and he gets off the elevator early.  Years later Sting appeared on Late Night With Conan O'Brien, and Conan told Sting that he wrote that sketch.  Sting feigned outrage and said that he had never had experiences like the elevator sketch until after it aired, and then it happened to him all the time.

I have to believe that if Sting dies and goes to hell that this will be what's waiting for him.  ENJOY!

No comments: