Sunday, June 15, 2014

CASEY KASEM RIP


Growing up in the seventies and eighties, I was pretty obsessed with radio.  It's no lie when I say that doing the morning show is a dream come true for me, because that's all I would ever talk about.  Part of my obsession was listening to the weekly countdown of hits on American Top 40 with Casey Kasem.  For me, Casey was the man.  He was America's DJ.  Even though I hadn't listened to him regularly since the early 80s, he was always THE VOICE that would pop into my head when I would think about radio and DJ'ing.   Also, he was the voice of Shaggy on Scooby Doo!  It seems like there was a never a time in my formative years where he wasn't a presence.

Even though his death wasn't a surprise, it's still rough news to swallow.  It's even sadder that his final days were filled with family drama and controversy.  People deserve better than that.

Anyway, I'm gonna be the millionth person in the world to mark his passing with the legendary outtake from American Top 40 where he loses his cool over a Long Distance Dedication.  It's pretty funny, and it became the foundation for a legendary Negativland song. NSFW!

Until next time, keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars.

Shyboy


No comments: