Sunday, January 04, 2015

LYNCHIAN SYNCHRONICITY

 

The fates seem to be pointing me in a particular cinematic direction as of late.  In the last 48 hours there have been too many coincidences for me to believe otherwise.  You guys, I'm pretty sure the powers are be are Eraserhead fans.  Here's my evidence:

At work I was talking to a co-worker about the excellent Criterion release of Eraserhead, and how it has a remarkable behind-the-scenes documentary called Eraserhead Stories.  Not only does it feature interviews with key players, but it also features amazing early video footage that was shot during the production.  It's astounding to me that such a low budget and relatively obscure (at the time) film had the ability to document what went on, but that's one of the perks of shooting on the AFI campus, I guess.



Then I was nosing around on the internet for information about Patton Oswalt's new book Silver Screen Fiend.  It's composed of stories of his life as a film obsessive in Los Angeles in the 1990s.


I did a YouTube search for related clips and found this clip of Patton introducing a midnight screening of Eraserhead recently.  During the clip he seconds the opinion of Shelley and myself that Eraserhead is nothing less than a birth control film.




Patton also tells a brief story about when he encountered Jack Nance, the star of Eraserhead, in the parking lot of a cheap motel.  I won't tell the story, because it needs to be heard in Patton's own words.  Less than a day after seeing this clip, Dangerous Minds posted the Jack Nance documentary I Don't Know Jack.  This is a fantastic film about a pretty tragic guy who was talented and tortured and, ultimately, doomed.



And now I ask you... have you ever seen Eraserhead? 

Shyboy

1 comment:

Chad said...

Loved the Jack Nance doc. More laughs than sads. Lynch can tell a story on either side of the camera.