Thursday, February 26, 2015

Your homework for the day.......... have a good cry with Johnny Cash's "Hurt" video.


Today is Johnny Cash's birthday and we have been playing his music all morning on Shuffle Function. In fact, on tonight's 6 p.m. show we also hand the playlist over to Mr. Cash. Wish brings me to assigning your homework for the day. Please watch this video.


If you are familiar with this song, you know that it is a cover of Nine Inch Nail's "Hurt". Recorded in 2002, it went on to be awarded video of the year. NME named it "Best Video Ever" in 2011. I'd heard that Trent Reznor loved Cash's version of his song, but this morning I found this quote:

I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure.

Johnny Cash, always a larger than life character, appears quite fragile and frail in this video. Three months after it's completion, June Carter Cash passed away. Four months after that Johnny Cash died. But we will always have this video.

Shelley




No comments: