Friday, March 06, 2015

The Genius of Chris Ware


In my eyes, this man can do no wrong. His name is Chris Ware and if that name isn't ringing any bells, I bet his artwork will. I first came across his work through This American Life. I then fell head over heels in love with his graphic novel Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid On Earth. The levels of detail that he manages to capture on a blank piece of paper is mind boggling. The stories he tells are often melancholy, personal, and seemingly hopeless. But there is always a light at the end of his tunnels, making the journey worth all the heartbreak.

this is the fold -out of the hard cover version of Jimmy Corrigan
I just found out that he has been doing a weekly graphic novella at The Guardian website called The Last Saturday. You can find a link to it here:



I've not had a chance to read through it yet, but you better believe I will catch up with it over the weekend. It follows I recommend you do as well. 

the decoder ring he designed for This American Life
the t-shirt he designed for WFMU
For me - nobody does old buildings and snow better than Chris Ware.

This is a wormhole for me folks - I could just share favorite strips for days with you, but I will stop here. Do some on-line searching for yourselves. You won't regret it!

Shelley

No comments: