Tuesday, June 09, 2015

heads up music geeks -


If you listen to our show, you know that I am fighting a battle to organize my record collection. Often it feels like I am losing the fight, but I think there may be a light at the end of the tunnel now that the busy radio season is over for a bit. While going through the piles I came across a big hole in my collection. I discovered I have all of the regular vinyl full length releases by the band XTC, except for my favorite one, Skylarking. Looking back I know exactly why that is. This was the first album I listened to by XTC. Skylarking is when I fell hard for this band, but it was a cassette that I owned, not a vinyl record. My Mother invested in a time share cabin up north that we would visit for a week every year around Thanksgiving time. Back then there was very little surrounding the cabins in the way of stores or shopping. It was mostly tiny grocery stores that had the basics and rented video tapes. But there was a candle shop in the closest town, and while visiting it I found myself rummaging through a cardboard box filled with tape cassettes. They were 3 for $9.99. I couldn't tell you what the other two tapes were, but Skylarking was the third. Right off the bat I loved it, I still have that tape, and after listening to it over and over and over again, I bought any album I could find by XTC. Apparently I just never found a copy of Skylarking, until now.


I just bought a vinyl copy of Skylarking, and on tomorrow morning's Shuffle Function show I am going to play the whole thing. This is an album just BEGGING to played this way, with a number of the songs blending effortlessly right into the next. I have listened to Skylarking so many times that once while sitting around a campfire I bragged I could sing the whole thing. I got pretty far - at least as far as the first side. This album came to me back when time wasn't as divided between work and more work, when you'd listen to a favorite over and over and over again, pausing only to flip the record over or switch the cassette tape. I miss that kind of listening experiences, and so I cannot wait to drop the needle on side one tomorrow morning! I will start right after 7 a.m. so be sure to set the alarm clock if you have to. I think you are going to really like this.

Programming note: this is the first release of the album, so the song Dear God is not on it. I will talk about this on the air tomorrow, and explain why that is. See you then.

Shelley

No comments: