Sunday, December 20, 2015

My Recommended Binge Watch: Making A Murderer


I spent my day off binge watching the new original Netflix series Making A Murderer, and I think you should too! Wait - let me clarify this statement a bit. This is an amazing documentary comprised of over a decade of filming and research and filming by Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos. Through interviews with those involved, news reports and trial footage they tell a story that is disturbing on so many levels. Making A Murderer is a violent story too, and they do not pull their punches in the telling of it. So if the true crime genre isn't for you, I would stay away far way from this. But if you can't get enough of podcasts like This American Life's "Serial", or HBO's series "The Jinx", or Errol Morris's amazing book "A Wilderness Of Errors", then put ten hours aside and watch this now! The first episode is available to watch on YouTube below. After that you will have to stream it on Netflix.
 
         

I am not going to go into great detail surrounding the events depicted here, because I want you to experience it with fresh eyes. Just know that once they get their hooks into you, it is hard to stop watching this series. This documentary is shocking in it's detail, and what happens to the Avery family will leave you frustrated, frightened and anxious. We may never know what really happened, but there will be no spoilers here.



I will give you this heads up though, have some tissues near by when you watch. This story is not just about one man - it's the quiet moments spent with the Avery family as the story unfolds that will break your heart, no matter how you feel about the question of guilt. So I will let you go now. You have a long and fascinating binge watching day ahead of you!

Shelley

No comments: