Sunday, May 15, 2016

LISTEN TO JOEL KOSTER IF YOU LIKE GREAT HARMONIES AND POP HOOKS!


I've been spending Sunday afternoon digging for musicians that have been influenced by Brian Wilson and Pet Sounds (there are many), and I came across this amazing musician named Joel Koster.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about him, which is astonishing to me, because his music is really solid.  Joel has been home recording this stuff since his mid-teens, and he wears his love of Brian Wilson and sixties music on his sleeve.

The thing that first grabbed my attention was his recreation of Pet Sounds.  It's available for free (or pay what you want) on Bandcamp.  Here are some YouTube videos he made around 2012 that show his grasp of the source material.  It's pretty impressive.



From there I discovered his his Soundcloud, where he covers The Beatles, Mamas and Papas, and more Beach Boys.  The thing that really caught my attention was his original songs.  They're really beautiful, and they're filled with great harmonies and pop hooks that have been haunting me since I started listening to them.



It looks like the original stuff from the last year is only available to stream on Soundcloud, but he does have an album of originals that he put out on Bandcamp three years ago.  It's also Pay What You Want, and I bought it without even listening to it.  The Soundcloud stuff won me over!

Hopefully we'll hear much more from Joel in the future!  Visit his Soundcloud page and check out all of his stuff!

Shyboy

No comments: