Monday, August 08, 2016

REMEMBERING ELVIS ON AUGUST 16th


Tuesday, August 16th, will be the 39th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death.  I was 7 at the time, and it was the first major celebrity loss I experienced.  Presley's music made an early impression on me via a 45 of Jailhouse Rock that was in my dad's box of singles, so his passing shocked me at an age where I still didn't really understand the nature of death.  I remember Dad and I went out a few days later and picked up a copy of Elvis' Pure Gold album at Goldfines' department store in Mankato, and all his music was pretty picked over.  Pure Gold is a pretty solid Elvis compilation, filled with a good mix of early and late period hits, and it still has a home in my record collection.



One of the benefits of having a radio show is that things you can go over the top when something like the passing of a music legend rolls around, and on August 16th that's exactly what Shuffle Function will be doing.  From six to nine a.m. on that day we'll be playing loads and loads of Elvis music.  We'll even be playing some of our favorite Elvis tribute records, like Candy Bars For Elvis (My Dad's favorite Elvis tribute song) and Merry Christmas, Elvis.  What we really want to play, though, is your requests!  Send them to us at shufflefunction@hotmail.com, or call us during the morning show at 507-389-5678 or 1-800-456-7810, and let us know what you'd like to hear.  Days like this are about community, and KMSU has an amazing community of music geeks and die hards that really come together during days like this.  It's one of the things we love most about being a part of the station.

Thanks in advance for your requests!

Shyboy


No comments: